Nana’s Spicy Shrimp Tacos with Ontario Garlic Cilantro Lime Cole Slaw
Ingredients for the Garlic Cilantro Lime Sauce
- 1/4 cup oil
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/2 cup chopped Ontario green onions
- 1/2 cup fresh Ontario cilantro leaves
- 2-3 cloves Noble organics garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- juice of 2 organic limes
- 1/2 cup sour cream
Ingredients for the Tacos
- 1 lb. shrimp, peeled and deveined, tails removed
- ½ teaspoon each, cumin & chipotle chili pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper (more or less to taste)
- 2-3 cups shredded green or red cabbage
- 8 small corn tortillas
- 1-2 avocados
- Cotija cheese and additional cilantro for topping
(Substitute: For soft cotija substitute Feta cheese).
- Organic lime wedges for serving
Pulse all the sauce ingredients except the sour cream in a food processor. When mostly smooth, add the sour cream and pulse until combined. Taste and adjust as needed. Set aside.
Heat a drizzle of oil a large skillet over medium high heat. Pat the shrimp dry with paper towels and sprinkle with the spices. Add the shrimp to the hot pan and saute for about 5 minutes, until the shrimp are pink and cooked through.
Toss a portion of the sauce (not all) with the cabbage. It should resemble a coleslaw – you want it to have enough sauce so the cabbage is weighed down a little bit. Use leftover sauce on top of the tacos. We like to assemble our warmed tacos with mashed avocado on the tortillas, top with a few pieces of shrimp, top with coleslaw, and finish with Cotjia or soft feta cheese, cilantro, and lime wedges.